I use Google to find many of the things I want to learn about. Sometimes the list of links it returns can be a little disappointing. Upgrading from Drupal 6 to Drupal 7 is one of those situations that is bringing a variety of results that don’t quite hit the mark. Of course what I’m finding today will change in the days and weeks to come so your experiences will vary. I hope to continue updating this article as I find more useful information.
Sometimes the most obvious places get overlooked. For instance, the Upgrade.txt file in the Drupal7 installation is a good place to start looking. Here are some other good places I’ve started looking:
- Upgrading from Previous Versions – This document includes general information that is useful.
- Upgrading from Drupal 6 to 7 After reading the advice on this page follow the links to its sub documents
- Getting Started With Drupal 7 Administration - This is a good place for information about how your web site is administered.
- Site Building Guide – This is a good place in the Drupal Documentation that I’ve overlooked before.
I haven’t found a nice pushbutton solution to upgrading the databases between D6 and D7. Diving into relevant database documentation is the best choice as I can see it right now.
- Database API Documentation – Drupal 7 Handbook on D7 database documentation
- Database Abstraction Layer – Drupal D7 documentation.
- Static Queries – Database API Documentation
- Dynamic Queries – Database API Documentation
- Drupal 6 vs Drupal 7 Database Primer – Part 1 – This article has some good descriptions. It was written prior to the D7 release.
- Drupal 6 vs Drupal 7 Database Primer – Part 2
Links Found That May Be Useful?
(c) 2011 Vince Thompson